We can now find the median or middle number of a group of supplied numbers in an easy and straightforward way in excel. To learn how to do this, read this post to the end.
Figure 1: How to find median in excel
General syntax of the formula
=MEDIAN (number1, [number2],…)
- Number1- this is the number of cell reference referring to the numeric values
- Number2- this is the number or cell reference that refers to the optional numeric values
How the formula works
- The formula will return the middle value as the median if the total number supplied is odd.
- The formula will find the average of the two middle numbers of the total numbers supplied is even.
- Those cells with text, logic values or no values will be ignored by the formula
- The formula accept numbers in various forms including numbers, ranges, named ranges as well as cell references.
- The formula can accept up to 255 numbers at any given one time.
Figure 2: Example of how to find median in excel
In this example, we want to find the median of the values in each of the rows.
Step 1: Fill your data in the sheet from cell B4 to cell G7 as shown above. The “Result” column shall have the median values of the rows.
Step 2: In cell G5, enter the formula
Step 3: Press Enter to get the median
Step 4: Copy down the formula across the other cells to get the median for the other rows.
Instant Connection to an Expert through our Excelchat Service
Most of the time, the problem you will need to solve will be more complex than a simple application of a formula or function. If you want to save hours of research and frustration, try our live Excelchat service! Our Excel Experts are available 24/7 to answer any Excel question you may have. We guarantee a connection within 30 seconds and a customized solution within 20 minutes.