Excel FREQUENCY Function is a statistical function which returns how often a value(s) occur within a set of data
Let’s explore an easy example of Excel Frequency Function
Figure 1. Simplified Frequency Function
- Place the cursor in cell G2
- Type the Excel Frequency function =FREQUENCY(C2: C7, E2)
- Press enter
OUTPUT: 3 (marks that are <=40)
In example 2 will take a look at a more complicated Excel FREQUENCY Function involving arrays.
How to use the Excel FREQUENCY Function
- Put the cursor in Cell H5
- Type an equal sign, then Excel FREQUENCY Function.
- Select D5:D14 (data_array)
- Select G5:G9 (the bins_array).
- Click anywhere within the formula
- Press Ctrl+Shift+Enter (appears
- Output 2 appears in cell H2
- Put the cursor in H2, highlight the cells H2:H9
- Repeat step 7
Figure 2. How to use data_array and bins_array
The data_array (cell range) D5-D14 contains a list of children ages. The BIN column represents values (0-4, 5-8,9-10,11-12,13-15)you need to calculate the frequency. Explanation
In example 2 above the Excel FREQUENCY Function returns a vertical array in the Frequency column with 5 values.
- Instead of pressing Enter key to assign the formula to cell H2, press Ctrl+Shift+Enter