Figure 1. Next Anniversary Date in Excel.
We are going to make use of a combination of the Excel EDATE and DATEDIF functions in order to determine the next anniversary date between a specified start and end date in days, months, or years.
- date is the specified date from which Excel begins to count.
- as_of is the specified date when Excel stops counting (after the anniversary).
The letter ”y” in our modified formula above is for specifying the difference in years.
How to use the Excel EDATE and DATEDIFF Functions
We are now going to demonstrate how we can use the Excel EDATE and DATEDIFF Functions to get the anniversary date starting from a specific date.
This is possible in 3 simple steps.
- Label the columns of our worksheet and enter the date specified start and end dates accordingly.
See example illustrated below;
Figure 2. Next Anniversary Date in Excel.
Ensure that we have blank cells in our NEXT ANNIVERSARY DATE column for Excel to return the calculated dates.
- In our example above, the formula to enter into cell C2 is shown below;
Figure 3. Next Anniversary Date in Excel.
Excel DATEDIF function will determine the total number of years occurring between the start date (original anniversary date) and the end date (“as of” date),:
In our worksheet example, we have specified 1/1/2017 as our end (as of) date.
- Copy the modified formula in cell C2 down into the remaining cells in our NEXT ANNIVERSARY DATE column to achieve the desired results.
Figure 4. Next Anniversary Date in Excel.
- We have used the letter “y” in our formula for Excel to calculate the difference in years.
- For Excel to calculate the difference in months, we should use the letter “m”.
- For Excel to calculate the difference in days, we should use the letter “d”.
Figure 5. Final Result.
Instant Connection to an Expert through our Excelchat Service:
Our live Excelchat Service is here for you. We have Excel Experts available 24/7 to answer any Excel questions you may have. Guaranteed connection within 30 seconds and a customized solution for you within 20 minutes