We can use the DAY function to return the day of the month from a given date. The steps below will walk through the process.
Figure 1: How to Use the Excel DAY Function
Setting up the Data
- We will set up the data by inputting the Dates in Column B
- The day in the month will be returned in Column C
Figure 2: Setting up the Data
Using the DAY function
- We will click on Cell C5
- We will insert the formula below into the cell
- We will press the enter key
Figure 3: How to get the day of the month
- We will click on Cell C5 again
- We will double click on the fill handle tool which is the small plus sign you see at the bottom right of Cell C5. Select and drag down to copy the formula to other cells.
Figure 4: Result of using the DAY function
- Excel only returns dates that are after 1/1/1900
Instant Connection to an Expert through our Excelchat Service
Most of the time, the problem you will need to solve will be more complex than a simple application of a formula or function. If you want to save hours of research and frustration, try our live Excelchat service! Our Excel Experts are available 24/7 to answer any Excel question you may have. We guarantee a connection within 30 seconds and a customized solution within 20 minutes.