The Excel data validation drop-down list is used to enter data in a worksheet from a predefined list of items to limit the user choices in a faster and convenient way. Sometimes we need to remove a drop down list in selected or all the cells to allow the user to input data unrestrictedly.
Figure 1. How to Delete Drop Down List
Delete Drop Down List From Selected Cells Only
In some cases, we need to delete drop down list from the selected cell(s) of worksheet only for unrestricted access to the user for data entry instead of all the cells where we have applied the data validation drop down list. In this case, we need to do the following;
- Select the cell or cells where we want to remove drop down list in worksheet.
- On the Data tab, click on Data Validation menu and select Data Validation
Figure 2. Selecting Data Validation Menu
- From the Data Validation Settings tab, select the Clear All button and Press OK
This removes the drop down list from selected cells but Excel keeps the selected values, which can be deleted manually if required.
Figure 3. How to Clear Drop Down List
Delete Drop Down List From All Cells
In most of the cases, we want to delete the drop down list from all the cells of the current worksheet. We can achieve this either by selecting all the cells and repeat the above steps or we need to use the following method;
- Select any of the cells which contain drop down list in the worksheet.
- From Data tab, select Data Validation to popup Data Validation Form
Figure 4. Data Validation Settings
- One the Settings tab, select the checkbox “Apply these changes to all other cells with the same settings”. This operation selects all the cells in the current worksheet where the drop down list is applicable.
- Press Clear All button and press OK to clear drop down list.
Figure 5. How to Remove Drop Down List
Instant Connection to an Expert through our Excelchat Service
Most of the time, the problem you will need to solve will be more complex than a simple application of a formula or function. If you want to save hours of research and frustration, try our live Excelchat service! Our Excel Experts are available 24/7 to answer any Excel question you may have. We guarantee a connection within 30 seconds and a customized solution within 20 minutes.