In Excel, QUARTILE function provides a great help to determine quartile from a given set of data. A quartile is fourth equal part of any data range that has been taken into consideration. Through this function, we can find first quartile, second quartile, third quartile, min and max value.
The basic purpose of using QUARTILE function in Excel is to get first quartile, second quartile, third quartile, min and max value from the selected data set.
After applying the formula, the value that comes out is the requested quartile. First quartile, second quartile, third quartile, min and max value from the selected data set will be returned to the cell where the formula is applied.
For this function, the syntax that is used in Excel is
In this function of Excel, there are two arguments that are used.
- Array: It basically a range of data set that has been addressed in the formula and needs to be analyzed to bring out results.
- Quart: It is the value of the first quartile, second quartile, or third quartile that has been requesting and return to the cell where the formula is applied.
There are five values that can be taken by quart argument and it is shown below:
Quart Return value
- Min value
- First quartile: 25th percentile
- Median value: 50th percentile
- Third quartile: 75th percentile
- Max value
Figure 1. Example of Excel QUARTILE Function