What is the Excel MEDIAN Function?
The MEDIAN Function on Excel is used to return the middle number (Median) in the group of numbers supplied to it. The MEDIAN function can also be used to find the Median of a row of numbers in a spreadsheet.
- Number 1 – any number out of the range of numbers whose median is to be gotten.
- Number 2 – any other number out of the numbers whose median is to be gotten.
The data (numbers) can be fed to the MEDIAN function as numbers, ranges, or cell references that contain numeric values and Up to 255 numbers can be fed into the function.
To use the MEDIAN function to find the Median of a row of numbers in a spreadsheet, the following formula can be used;
- Range – a range of cells containing values e.g. B4:G4.
Note: The function would ignore cells that contain logical values, text, or no value at all and would only return a numeric value as the median (the result).
How to use the Excel MEDIAN Function
The spreadsheet used in this example has different values already distributed into Rows 1 through to 3. The Median of each row would be gotten, starting with Row 1 (B4:G4).
The following steps are to be taken;
- Open the existing spreadsheet containing the values, as below, or create your own new spreadsheet.
Figure 1. Open your Excel spreadsheet
- Click on cell I4 (the cell where the Median of Row 1 values would be displayed).
Figure 2. Cell for row1 Median
- Insert the formula
=MEDIAN(B4:G4)to get the Median for Row 1.
Figure 3. Insert formula for row1 Median
- Press Enter. The median is displayed.
Figure 4. Press Enter
- For the median of Row 2 (B5:G5), insert the formula =MEDIAN(B5:G5) and press Enter.
Figure 5. Median for row2
- For the median of Row 3 (B6:G6), insert the formula =MEDIAN(B6:G6) and press Enter.
Figure 6. Median for row3
“A”, “Bobby”, and “C” in row 3 would be ignored as they are not numeric values.
- You can try to get the MEDIAN of the entire array of values. Use
)as the formula.
Figure 7. Overall median
- The MEDIAN function would ignore cells that contain logical values, letters, text/strings, or no value at all and would only return a numeric value as the median (the result).
- In our example, strings like “Bobby” & “Chick” and were ignored by the MEDIAN function. Likewise letters like “A” & “C”.