We can edit a PivotTable by removing or adding columns, row, or modify the data when there are new entries. The steps below will walk through the process.
Figure 1- How to Edit a Pivot Table in Excel
Setting up the Data
- We will use the Pivot Table in figure 2 to illustrate how we can edit a Pivot Table
Figure 2 – Setting up the Data
How to Add a Column to a Pivot Table
- We will add a new column called Product. This is the product of sales and orders
- We will click on the Pivot Table
- We will click “Analyze”, and then, “Change Data Source”
Figure 3- Clicking on Change Data Source
- We will ensure that the range includes the new data
Figure 4- Change Pivot Table Data Source Dialog box
- We will click OK. This immediately adds Product to the Pivot Table Fields
- We will check the Product box in the Pivot Table Fields
- We can use the same approach when we add rows. However, after adding the rows to the table, we will click on the Pivot Table, right-click, and click Refresh
Figure 5 – Adding a Column to the Pivot Table
How to Remove a Column from a Pivot Table
- We can remove a column from a Pivot Table by unmarking the box in the Pivot Table Fields.
- For instance, if we want to remove the Orders, we will click the box beside Orders to remove the orders column
Figure 6 – Removing a Column from the Pivot Table
Instant Connection to an Expert through our Excelchat Service
Most of the time, the problem you will need to solve will be more complex than a simple application of a formula or function. If you want to save hours of research and frustration, try our live Excelchat service! Our Excel Experts are available 24/7 to answer any Excel question you may have. We guarantee a connection within 30 seconds and a customized solution within 20 minutes.