We can find the SQUARE ROOT of a number with either the SQRT function or the POWER function with the corresponding power argument (1/2). The steps below will walk through the process.
Figure 1: How to Find the Square Root of a Number
=SQRT(cell containing the number or the number)
=POWER(cell containing the number or the number,1/2)
Setting up the Data
- We will set up the data as shown in figure 2
- The numbers whose square root we intend to find are in Cell A4 to Cell A10
- The results will be returned in Column B
Figure 2: Setting up the Data
Find the Square Root of a Number
- We will click on Cell B4
- We will insert the formula below:
- We will press the enter key to get the result
Figure 3: Square Root for the Value in Cell A4
- We will use the fill handle to copy the formula into the other cells
Figure 4: Square Root of the Numbers in Column A
To use the POWER FUNCTION, enter the formula below into Cell B4 and repeat the process above.
Instant Connection to an Expert through our Excelchat Service
Most of the time, the problem you will need to solve will be more complex than a simple application of a formula or function. If you want to save hours of research and frustration, try our live Excelchat service! Our Excel Experts are available 24/7 to answer any Excel question you may have. We guarantee a connection within 30 seconds and a customized solution within 20 minutes.