We can quickly navigate to different worksheets of the same workbook by linking worksheets with specific cells of a sheet. To link a cell to a worksheet we add a hyperlink between the content of a cell to the cell reference of another worksheet. In this way, we quickly jump to the relevant worksheet by clicking on the hyperlink.
Figure 1. How to Link Cells to Other Worksheets
By Inserting the Hyperlink
We link cells to cell references of different worksheets of the same workbook by inserting the hyperlink. Suppose we have a list of content of various types of art gallery items in one sheet (List of content) and we want to link cell of each content (Type of Art Work) to navigate easily to its relevant worksheet in the same workbook.
Figure 2. Link to Another Sheet
Do the followings to add the hyperlink in a cell;
- Select the cell where we need to insert the hyperlink
- Right-click inside the cell and select Hyperlink option
Figure 3. Selecting Hyperlink Option
- On the left side of the Insert Hyperlink dialog window, select the “Place in This Document” option.
- Type the cell reference of the targeted worksheet
- Select the worksheet to link from the document list
- Press OK button
Figure 4. Insert Hyperlink
- Excel inserts a hyperlink in the cell to link with another worksheet. We repeat this process for other cells to insert hyperlinks, linking spreadsheets.
Figure 5. Linking Worksheets
By Using Hyperlink Function
We can also use the Hyperlink function to link a cell to another worksheet of the same workbook. Follow the below steps to insert the hyperlink in a cell.
- Insert the Hyperlink function in a cell.
- Add the cell reference of the specific cell of another worksheet in the link_location argument and optionally a text to display in the cell in the friendly_name argument to navigate to another worksheet.
Figure 6. Using Hyperlink Function
- Apply the Hyperlink function in the cells in the same fashion linking worksheets wherever applicable.
Figure 7. Linking Cells
Instant Connection to an Expert through our Excelchat Service
Most of the time, the problem you will need to solve will be more complex than a simple application of a formula or function. If you want to save hours of research and frustration, try our live Excelchat service! Our Excel Experts are available 24/7 to answer any Excel question you may have. We guarantee a connection within 30 seconds and a customized solution within 20 minutes.