When we keep on adding data, formulas, images to the worksheets, the size of the file increases and it makes the file slow to respond and difficult to send it to others. We can compress file to reduce its size using the various techniques.
Figure 1. Compressing Files
How to Compress File
There are various methods to compress and reduce the size of the file easily.
Method 1. Convert to Binary File Format (.XLSB)
Perform the following steps to convert the Workbook (.xlsx) file format to the binary file format (.xlsb).
- Go to the File tab, and click on the Save As option
Figure 2. Selecting Save As Option
- Click on Save As Type arrow and select the Binary Workbook (*.xlsb) and press Save button.
Figure 3. Converting to Binary File Format
Converting the file from a .xlsx format to .xlsb (binary file) format reduces its size to a great extent.
Figure 4. Reduce File Size with Binary Format
Method 2. Replacing Formulas with Values
When we insert formulas in the sheet, especially the array formulas, the file size increases dramatically. If we do not need formulas any more then we can reduce excel file size by replacing formulas with values.
- Select the whole worksheet by clicking on the top left corner Ruler bar
- Press F5 function key to launch Go To dialog box
Figure 5. Launching Go To Dialog
- Click on the Special button and select the Formulas from the Go To Special dialog box
- Press the OK button
Figure 6. Select the Formulas Option
- Press Ctrl + C keys to copy the whole worksheet data
- Go to Home Tab, click on Paste Special button and Select Paste Values option to replace all formulas in the whole worksheet with values.
Figure 7. Replacing Formulas With Values
- Save the changes to compress file size.
Figure 8. How to Reduce File Size
Method 3. Zipping a File
We can compress the file by sending it to Zipped folder in Windows outside the Excel application. This tool reduces the file size and makes it easy to transfer to others via Email. Follow the steps to do it quickly.
- Right-Click on the file where we have saved it on computer.
- Click on the Send to option and select the Compressed (zipped) folder
Figure 9. Zipping a File
- Windows creates another file with .zip format and reduces its size, that can be unzipped easily using the same tool after sending it over the Email.
Figure 10. How to Compress File
Instant Connection to an Expert through our Excelchat Service
Most of the time, the problem you will need to solve will be more complex than a simple application of a formula or function. If you want to save hours of research and frustration, try our live Excelchat service! Our Excel Experts are available 24/7 to answer any Excel question you may have. We guarantee a connection within 30 seconds and a customized solution within 20 minutes.