The MID Excel function is designed to extract a substring from the middle of any given text string.
The MID function is classified as an Excel text function which returns a specific number of characters beginning at a position of our choosing.
Figure 1. of MID Function in Excel
- text = The original text string to extract from
- start_num = The exact position of the initial character to extract
- num_chars = The amount of characters to be extracted
How to Use the Excel Mid Function
Using the following simple steps will help us extract text with the MID function Excel;
- We must first collect and arrange our text strings for extraction in our worksheet:
Figure 2. of Text Strings for Extraction in Excel
Be sure to leave a bank column of cells for the MID formula to return our text results (see column D above).
Our goal here is to extract a specific number of text characters from the text strings in column A.
- The Excel MID formula we will insert into cell D2 of our spreadsheet example is as follows:
Figure 3. of MID Function in Excel
The MID formula extracted the word “unexpected” (10 characters) from a given position in our original text string.
- Modify and copy the MID Excel function in cell D2 above, down into the other cells in the column for similar results:
Figure 4. MID Function in Excel
- The MID function will always return a text string of characters, even if our extracted substring contains digits only.
- If our start_num value is more than the length of our original text string , then the Excel Mid formula will return an empty string value (“”).
- If our start_num value is lower than 1, the Excel Mid formula will return an error #VALUE!
- If our num_chars value is below 0 ( a negative number), the Excel Mid formula will return the error #VALUE!
- If our num_chars value is 0, the Excel Mid formula will return an empty text string (blank cell).
Instant Connection to an Excel Expert
Most of the time, the problem you will need to solve will be more complex than a simple application of a formula or function. If you want to save hours of research and frustration, try our live Excelchat service! Our Excel Experts are available 24/7 to answer any Excel question you may have. We guarantee a connection within 30 seconds and a customized solution within 20 minutes.