Excel floor function involves rounding of a specified number towards zero or to the closest multiple of significance. To run this function in the excel, following two things are required
Number: Include number you want to round.
Significance: The multiple which you want to round.
The Syntax of Excel Floor Function
To perform excel floor function in excel spreadsheet, the following syntax will be used:
In Excel, numbers can “round” in two ways.
Numbers can be round in the following two ways in excel:
- Numbers can be round up or down. Using this rounding type, numbers get bigger when they are rounded up and smaller when they are rounded down.
- Numbers can round towards or away from the zero. Positive numbers get smaller, when they are rounded towards zero, whereas, negative numbers get bigger when rounding towards zero.
- “Round towards zero” or “round away from zero” is used to describe excel floor function.
The excel floor function rounds the desired number to a multiple of its significance. In this example, numbers are rounded to nearest specified multiple.
Figure 1. Example of Excel Floor Function
- Floor function is like MROUND function, however, Floor function always rounding down the desired number.
- The positive number rounding down the value toward zero.
- The negative number rounding down the value away from the zero.
- Excel floor function can be useful to set up rates after currency is converted, discounts are offered, and more.