We can use the Excel SHEET function to get the index number of a given sheet in excel. This function reports the sheet number for the cell reference, named range or the excel table. To understand how this function works, read this post to the end.
Figure 1: Using Excel SHEET function to find sheet index
General syntax of the formula
- Value- is the value you want to check. It is optional
- The Excel SHEET function is vital when we want to get the sheet number index.
- When applied, the function will return the index value of the specified sheet.
- Note that the index number in this case refers to the numeric sequence of sheets in a given excel workbook, which begins with 1 on the left all the way to N (total sheets).
- This function also works with the hidden sheets in the workbook.
- The SHEET function returns the index of the sheet it is entered on when the value argument is ignored.
- While SHEET function reports the index of the SHEET, its counterpart, the SHEETS function will return the number of sheets in the reference.
Instant Connection to an Expert through our Excelchat Service
Most of the time, the problem you will need to solve will be more complex than a simple application of a formula or function. If you want to save hours of research and frustration, try our live Excelchat service! Our Excel Experts are available 24/7 to answer any Excel question you may have. We guarantee a connection within 30 seconds and a customized solution within 20 minutes.