We can use the excel CONVERT FUNCTION to convert a number from one measurement to another. Some measurements are Meters, Kilometers, Fahrenheit, Celsius, Inches, Gram, etc. The steps below will walk through the process.
Figure 1: How to Use the Convert Function
=CONVERT(number, from_unit, to_unit)
- Where “Number” is the number to convert or the cell containing the number
- “From unit” is the current unit of the number
- “To unit” is the output unit that is required
Setting up the Data
- We will set up the data by inputting the Names of some students into Column A
- Column B will contain the HEIGHT of the students in meters
- Column C is where we want the formula to return the result for the HEIGHT of the students in inches
Figure 2: Setting up the Data
Convert From Meters to Inches
- We will click on Cell C4
- We will insert the formula below into the cell
- We will press the enter key
Figure 3: Conversion from Meters to Inches of Cell B4
- We will click on Cell C4 again
- We will double-click on the fill handle (the small plus sign at the bottom right of Cell C4) and drag down to copy the formula into the other cells
Figure 4: Conversion from Meters to Inches of Cells of Column B
The value in Cell B4 is reads as meters and the convert function returns the inches equivalent of the number.
Instant Connection to an Expert through our Excelchat Service
Most of the time, the problem you will need to solve will be more complex than a simple application of a formula or function. If you want to save hours of research and frustration, try our live Excelchat service! Our Excel Experts are available 24/7 to answer any Excel question you may have. We guarantee a connection within 30 seconds and a customized solution within 20 minutes.