We can use the MONTH function to get the month from a given date. The steps below will walk through the process.
Figure 1: Result of using the MONTH function
Setting up the Data
- We will set up data by inputting our Dates in Column B
- Our result, which is the month, will be returned in Column C
Figure 2: Setting up the Data
Get the MONTH with the MONTH Function
- We will click on Cell C5
- We will insert the formula below into the cell
- We will press the enter key
Figure 3: How to get the month from date
- We will click on Cell C5 again
- We will double click on the fill handle tool which is the small plus sign you see at the bottom right of Cell C5. Select and drag down to copy the formula to other cells.
Figure 4: Result of using the MONTH function
Instant Connection to an Expert through our Excelchat Service
Most of the time, the problem you will need to solve will be more complex than a simple application of a formula or function. If you want to save hours of research and frustration, try our live Excelchat service! Our Excel Experts are available 24/7 to answer any Excel question you may have. We guarantee a connection within 30 seconds and a customized solution within 20 minutes.