Excel SECOND function is used to get the seconds from time as a number ranging from (0-59)
What is Excel SECOND Function
Excel SECOND function can be found in the excel sheet as a built-in function. It can be used to extract seconds from time value and be displayed as a number ranging from (0-59). This function can also be used to extract seconds from the current time or provide a manual value and be displayed as a number.
How is the SECOND function used in Excel
The SECOND function is entered in an excel worksheet as a part of a formula in a cell along with the cell serial number. The different types of examples explaining how the SECOND function can be used as a formula in Excel sheet are provided in the further section.
Formula or Syntax
Serial_number – A valid time in a format Excel recognizes.
Let us take an example of applying SECOND function as a formula in an excel worksheet for different types of data.
Figure 1. Data table as an example for Excel SECOND function
- Here complete time is given from which Hours and minutes are ignored and seconds are displayed.
Figure 2. Applying Excel SECOND Function on Time format.
- Here complete date and time with seconds are given from which only seconds are displayed.
Figure 3. Applying Excel SECOND Function on date and time format.
- Here excel takes integer portion (4537) as date and a decimal portion (.9865) as time and using decimal portion 9865% of 24 hours, seconds are displayed as a number.
Figure 4. Applying Excel SECOND Function on integer and decimal value.
- Using SECOND function on text input with time format displays seconds as a number.
Figure 5. Applying Excel SECOND Function on text input with time format
- Here the only date is given as text input and no time component is present therefore applying SECOND function displays 0 seconds as result.
Figure 6. Applying Excel SECOND Function on text input with date format
Notes on usage of Excel SECOND function
- Using SECOND function on a text input without any valid time format will display an error value.
- SECOND function can also be used to display the seconds as a number from the current time. But doing so in a heavy file can sometimes slow down your work.
- When using SECOND function to display seconds from a manual time input, make sure to write the time in quotation marks.