We can use the WORKDAY function to know if a day is a workday or not. This function calculates defined “workdays” dates in the future or past. It automatically excludes weekend dates and (optionally), holidays. The steps below will walk through the process.
Figure 1: How to know that Date is a Workday
- “Date” is the first date in the column and “holidays” is the range of cells with holiday dates.
Setting up the Data
- We will set up data by inputting our Dates in Column B
- Our result will be returned by the WORKDAY function in Column C
- Holiday dates are in Cell E10 and Cell E11
Figure 2: Setting up the Data
Date is a Workday
- We will click on Cell C5
- We will insert the formula below into the cell
- We will press the enter key
Figure 3: Result of Date is a Workday for Cell C5
- We will click on Cell C5 again
- We will double click on the fill handle tool which is the small plus sign you see at the bottom right of Cell C5. Select and drag down to copy the formula to other cells.
Figure 4: Result of Using the WORKDAY Function
This formula returns as TRUE for a WORKDAY.
For the start date, we use date – 1 (B5-1), 1 for days, and $E$10:$E$11 for “holidays.”
The WORKDAY function goes back by a day and adds 1 day to the result, taking into consideration weekends and holidays. With this, WORKDAY evaluates the start_date.
If the date falls on a weekend or holiday, the WEEKDAY function automatically adjusts the date to the next working day.
Lastly, a comparison is made between the original start_date to the result of the WORKDAY function. If the result of WORKDAY equals the start_date, the formula returns TRUE, and FALSE if otherwise.
Instant Connection to an Expert through our Excelchat Service
Most of the time, the problem you will need to solve will be more complex than a simple application of a formula or function. If you want to save hours of research and frustration, try our live Excelchat service! Our Excel Experts are available 24/7 to answer any Excel question you may have. We guarantee a connection within 30 seconds and a customized solution within 20 minutes.