We can use the Excel WEEKDAY function to ensure that data validation allows weekday only. The steps below will walk through the process of using Data Validation to allow weekday only.
Figure 1 – Example of Data Validation to allow weekday only
Setting up the Data
- We will set up our data in Columns B and C
- Column B will contain our Groceries
- Column C will contain our dates of purchase
Figure 2 – Setting up the Data
Applying the WEEKDAY customized function
- We will highlight Cells C5 to C7
- We will click on Data Validation in the Data tab within the ribbon at the top of the worksheet
Figure 3 – Clicking on Data tab
- We will check the ignore blank box, select custom, and enter the formula below in the formula box
- We will press OK
- This will allow weekdays only
Figure 4 – Applying the WEEKDAY customized function
An Alternative Formula for Data validation
We can also create a return value argument that would allow the dates from 1 (Sunday) to 7 (Saturday).
- We will again highlight on Cells C5 to C7 and select Data Validation
- We will select custom, and enter this formula below in the formula dialog box
- We will press OK. This would return TRUE for all values if they fall within Saturday to Sunday.
Figure 5 – Alternative formula for Data Validation
We use the Data validation rules to restrict our cells so any user can only add values within the specific restriction. For our formula, the return value, 2 is a Monday-based number. This would be compared by Excel against 6. Therefore, any values less than 6 will return true. If the value is more than 6, the date is Sunday or Saturday, then validation fails.
- If we wish to allow only dates that occur in the weekend such as Sunday or Saturday, then we can use this formula:
- The Cell reference in the data validation formulas are always relative to the upper left cell, hence the reason our formula contains, C5.
Instant Connection to an Expert through our Excelchat Service
Most of the time, the problem you will need to solve will be more complex than a simple application of a formula or function. If you want to save hours of research and frustration, try our live Excelchat service! Our Excel Experts are available 24/7 to answer any Excel question you may have. We guarantee a connection within 30 seconds and a customized solution within 20 minutes.