Not only is effective inventory management vital for a business, but it can also be useful at home. Businesses need to keep their operations running efficiently by managing stock to avoid shortages or surpluses as well as figure out which projects are performing the best. A homeowner might want to keep track of personal possessions for insurance purposes, storage, to plan an event, or just to stay organized.
To save you time, Excel Chat has researched the top resources for free Excel inventory templates. There are a ton of different types of free inventory templates to choose from depending on your needs.
Free Excel Inventory Templates
The free templates below vary in their features depending on whether you are managing the assets of a business, personal possessions, or some other type of inventory. While it might seem like a chore to track all of these items, there are several benefits to using Excel inventory templates.
- View current inventory levels. Templates give you easy access to the amount of a certain item that you have in stock, which is the first step in keeping your business or household running smoothly.
- Manage reordering. When you track inventory, you can quickly and accurately identify when it is time to reorder a product.
- Safeguard your investment. Whether you are a business that is protecting equipment, merchandise, or computer systems or a homeowner that needs to insure personal property, having an accurate inventory is the best way to protect your investment.
- Save time and money. Templates allow for quick and simple data entry, and they are customizable to meet your particular needs.
- Create statistics. You can use the data produced in an inventory template to create statistics, such as identifying top-selling products.
Excel spreadsheets are incredibly versatile and can be used to track inventory to just about any size of business or household. Of course, there is inventory software as an alternative, but it can be costly and even have a complex learning curve. Sometimes an Excel spreadsheet just does the job perfectly. Here are the top free Excel inventory templates that we’ve compiled from sources around the web.
Basic Inventory Control Templates
A basic Excel inventory control template will give you many of the tools that a small business needs to manage its inventory. These include auto-calculations for things like current inventory quantities and values. You can also enter and search inventory items by ID number, name, description, and unit price.
1. Vend offers a free Inventory Analysis template. It includes instructions within the template for set up and use, and even includes some useful metrics such as inventory turnover rate, cost of goods sold (COGS), and conversion rates. The formulas are already entered, so you just need to begin plugging in your data.
2. Microsoft Office provides a free Inventory List template that has several useful columns. These include descriptors for items as wells as unit price, quantity in stock, reorder levels, time to reorder, and whether an item is discontinued.
3. Smartsheet is another provider that offers a free Basic Inventory Control template. This company has its own proprietary spreadsheet solutions that are paid, but also offers a range of free Excel spreadsheets that are useful. This template has columns and calculations in place to identify and track inventory, including flagging re-order dates.
Stock Inventory Control Template
Whether you are managing raw materials to be used in manufacturing or stock for a retail operation, you will need detailed inventory to control avoid surpluses and shortages. This type of tracking can also help you locate materials and access information about key suppliers. There might be different lead times for ordering each material, and you will also want to see the status of back ordered items.
4. You can download a free Stock Inventory Control template from Smartsheet. This is a detailed workbook that goes beyond a basic inventory spreadsheet. There are additional tabs to track vendors, stock inventory items, and track items on order.
Equipment Inventory Templates
If your business uses any equipment, you will want to keep track of it for financial reporting, insurance, operating, and tax purposes. An equipment inventory template can help you track the in-service date of equipment, its value and any loan balances due, depreciation, operating costs, warranty dates, serial numbers, and the physical locations. Since this is a lot of data, you can simply remove the columns that you don’t need from any free inventory template.
5. Microsoft Office provides a free basic Equipment Inventory List template. This one allows you to record the model and serial numbers of equipment, vendor information, model and serial numbers, and depreciation.
6. Smartsheet offers a free Equipment Inventory template that can help a business track all of its equipment in one place. In addition to letting you know when it’s time to replace or upgrade equipment, it also has several columns that let you know about inventory costs and usage.
7. Smartsheet also has a free Asset Tracking template for Excel that will help your business keep tabs on all of its assets such as heavy equipment, tools, vehicles, and even real estate. There is a separate tab for vendor information so that you closely track those relationships.
Software and Hardware Inventory Templates
Today’s companies spend a significant amount of money on technology, and this can be a challenge to track without help. Depending on the size of your organization, tracking can be accomplished with an Excel spreadsheet. Fortunately, there are several free solutions.
8. Vertex42 offers a free Software Inventory Tracking template. This Excel template has columns to track the software item information (name, version, category, developer); purchase information (supplier, date, price); license information (type, serial number or code, expiration date, quantity); and other relevant data.
9. Template.net also has a free Computer Inventory template that is customized for hardware such as desktops and laptops. It has columns for model, service tag #, location, operating system, processor, and install date.
10. Smartsheet also has a free Software Inventory template that is a multi-tab workbook. This workbook allows you to track both hardware and software assets from one file, with separate tabs for hardware, software, and vendors.
Food and Beverage Inventory Templates
Whether you own a restaurant or other food service company or just want to have the most organized kitchen in town, there are some free templates designed for tracking food, beverages, or both.
11. Spreadsheet123 offers a feature-rich, and free, Food Inventory template that allows you to manage food sales and inventory. It has several tabs for inventory, purchase logs, stock counts, and weekly reports. On the Settings tab, you can even enter information for your country currency, tax rates, weekly staff meal allowances, and category titles.
12. If you’re in the beverage business or also need to track this inventory, Spreadsheet123 also has a free Beverage Inventory template. This helps a business control in-house beverage inventory, track costs and measure profitability, and identify key lines.
13. Smartsheet has a free Food Inventory template that is a bit simpler than the ones from the other site. This would be suitable for a home user since it is divided into some simple categories, cost per item, and then broken down by week and totaled for the month.
Home Inventory Templates
While it’s always a good idea to be as organized as possible, it would also be a shame to lose all of your personal possessions due to some type of disaster. When you use a home inventory template, you can document all of your personal assets, including purchase dates and price, serial numbers, warranties, current value, and even location. If something does happen, or you just need to update your insurance policies periodically, you’ll have this data at your fingertips.
14. Microsoft Office offers a free Personal Inventory template. This simple spreadsheet has just a few columns to enter information about the item, a category, serial number, and value. There is also space to enter your insurance company and policy information.
15. Microsoft Office also has another free Home Inventory template that provides a bit more detail. There is more opportunity to track the value of items by each room in your home. There is space again for information about insurance coverage.
16. Vertex42 has a Home Inventory template that is free as well. This one is primarily used to document assets for insurance coverage, but you can use it for any type of personal asset tracking. There are columns to log the location (room) of the item, description, purchase information, condition, estimated value, model and serial #, notes, and a link to a photo.
17. Spreadsheet123 also has a free Home Inventory template. This one includes essentially the same columns as the template provided by Vertex 42, but there is also space available to include information about an item’s warranty.
Manually tracking inventory can be a chore and leave you open to errors, which is why using a tool like Excel simplifies this process. Even with these free inventory templates, you might not find something that exactly fits your needs or could run into trouble with one of the formulas. This is where Excel Chat can help.
Our team of Excel experts is standing by 24/7 to provide live help with any issues related to Excel and Google Sheets. We can help customize an Excel inventory spreadsheet, troubleshoot issues, or answer any other questions. Your first session is always free.