We can use the AVERAGEIFS function to calculate the average of numbers in a range that meet more than one criteria. Logical operators like >, <, <>, = and wildcards (*,?) for partial matching are supported by the criteria of AVERAGEIFS. The steps below will walk through the process.
Figure 1- Final result of the AVERAGEIFS function
=AVERAGEIFS(avg_rng, range1, criteria1, [range2], [criteria2], ...)
- avg_rng: This is the range whose average we want. This range can either be a subset of range1 or range1.
- range1: The first range to evaluate.
- criteria1: This is the boundary where the AVERAGEIFS function can evaluate range1
- range2 [optional]: The second range to evaluate.
- criteria2 [optional]: The criteria to use on range2.
Setting up the Data
- The Branches of a store will be entered into Column B
- Column C will contain the Sales for each of the stores
- The result will be returned in Column E with the specified criteria in Column D
Figure 2 – Setting up the Data
AVERAGEIFS if Sales is >1000 and <5000
- We will click on Cell E4
- We will insert the formula below into Cell E4
- We will press the enter key
Figure 3- AVERAGEIFS if Sales is >1000 and <5000
In a similar fashion, we will enter the formula below into Cell E5 and Cell E6 to get the result
- Cell E5:
- Cell E6:
Figure 4- Result of applying the AVERAGEIFS function
- AVERAGEIFS allows up to 127 range/criteria pairs apart from the first compulsory range and criteria
- Every added range must have similar number of rows and columns as the avg_range
- Criteria should be enclosed in double quotes
- Wildcards like question mark matches any one character and asterisk matches any order of characters.
- The error value #DIV/0! will be returned if there aren’t cells in the range that meet the criteria
Instant Connection to an Expert through our Excelchat Service
Most of the time, the problem you will need to solve will be more complex than a simple application of a formula or function. If you want to save hours of research and frustration, try our live Excelchat service! Our Excel Experts are available 24/7 to answer any Excel question you may have. We guarantee a connection within 30 seconds and a customized solution within 20 minutes.