We can do Automatic Sorting in Excel using a very simple method. This tutorial will guide all levels of Excel users on how to do automatic sorting in excel.
Figure 1: Automatic Sorting in excel
Automatic Sorting in Excel
- We will select the data, copy it and paste it in another Column D.
Figure 2: Data table
- We will click on Data tab and then we will click on A-Z tab to sort the data manually in ascending order
Figure 3: Highlighted sorted data in ascending order
- We will click on Z-A tab to sort the data manually in descending order
Figure 4: Highlighted sorted data in descending order
Auto sort with Formula in Excel
- To auto sort with formula, we can use the formula
Figure 5: Excel auto sort table
- We will insert the dollar sign so that the selection does not change as we move the formula from Cell B4 to Cell B5
Figure 6: Inserted dollar sign to formula
- We will insert the first largest number A4 in the formula.
Figure 7: Inserted first largest number to the formula
- We will then click OK button
Figure 8: Automatic sort first large number to table
- We will drag the cell down to get the second largest number A5
Figure 9: Inserted second largest number to the formula
- We will drag down to F14 and then click on the OK button
Figure 10: Inserted excel auto sort table
- This way we can sort the number without clicking on the Data tab and then A-Z
Figure 11: Excel Auto Sort Table
How to Auto sort in Excel when Data Changes
- To auto sort in excel when data changes, the sorting we did using Data tab will not change automatically but the sorting using Formula will change.
Figure 12: Excel auto sort when data changes
- We will find it much easier to sort with excel using formula than using the data tab.
Instant Connection to an Expert through our Excelchat Service
Most of the time, the problem you will need to solve will be more complex than a simple application of a formula or function. If you want to save hours of research and frustration, try our live Excelchat service! Our Excel Experts are available 24/7 to answer any Excel question you may have. We guarantee a connection within 30 seconds and a customized solution within 20 minutes.