When our mailbox is cluttered with emails, it increases the size of our Outlook file; we need to archive old emails. We can easily use the Outlook Archive feature to archive old emails, tasks, notes, and other items, so our Outlook is clean and fast. This feature is available in Outlook 2013, Outlook 2010, Outlook 2016, and earlier. In this tutorial, we will learn how to archive emails in outlook automatically and manually.
Figure 1 – How to archive emails in outlook 2016
Archive Outlook 2016, Outlook 2013 and Outlook 2010 Automatically
Typically, we may have the Auto Archive feature turned on by default. However, in Outlook 2010, we may have to turn it on:
- We will go to Outlook and select File
Figure 2 – Outlook 2016 archive
- We will go to Options and select Advanced, followed by AutoArchive Settings.
Figure 3 – How to archive in Outlook 2016
- In the Auto Archive dialog window, we will mark the box for “Run AutoArchive every N days” and enter the number of days we want. In this case, we will enter 14 days.
- When we have checked the box, we can configure other options as we wish. Lastly, we will click OK
Figure 4 – Archive emails in outlook 2016
- In the future, we will receive a periodic reminder to archive Outlook as shown below.
Figure 5 – Outlook archive messages
- When Outlook is archiving, we may see this at the base of the Outlook window
Figure 6 – Outlook archive now
- When the archive process is completed, the Archive folder will appear automatically.
How to Archive in Outlook Manually
We can also archive Outlook 2016 manually anytime we want if we do not wish to wait for the Auto Outlook Archive feature. This step is a ONE-TIME PROCESS, so we have to make sure we have selected all files we want to archive before using it.
- In Outlook 2016, we will go to File Tab, and select Tools then select Clean up Old items.
- Alternatively, in Outlook 2013 and Outlook 2010, we will go to File and select Cleanup Tool.
Figure 7 – Manually archive outlook
- Next, we will choose the Archive.
- In the Archive dialog box, we will click on Archive this folder and all subfolders, and then we will pick the folder we want to archive.
- In this case, we will select the Calendar option; then In Archive items older than, we will enter our desired date
Figure 8 – Outlook 2016 archiving
- We will click OK to complete the process.
Instant Connection to an Expert through our Excelchat Service
Most of the time, the problem you will need to solve will be more complex than a simple application of a formula or function. If you want to save hours of research and frustration, try our live Excelchat service! Our Excel Experts are available 24/7 to answer any Excel question you may have. We guarantee a connection within 30 seconds and a customized solution within 20 minutes.